Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Portlights (Part 4) & Brightwork Varnishing




June 10, 2020



I set out today to complete the opening ports, having just the port "mid" to complete.  I removed the fasteners from the port, labeled them and set them to the side.



I then used a number of tools to remove the old  (and vey sticky) butyl tape from the frame and the port itself.  I finished the port by hand-sanding with 320-grit paper.




After completing the last of the ports, I turned my attention to the brightwork, an extensive amount of brightwork that required sanding, sealing with a thinned coat of varnish, and 4 to 5 subsequent coats of varnish!  First up...the companionway slide hatch pull.



Next, I tackled the companionway slide hatch rails...



...and the the port and starboard trim rails.



Finally, and to wrap up the day, I sanded and then applied varnish to the bow cap, the taff rail, and a couple aft rail components.


Total Time Today: 3 hrs

3 comments:

  1. How long of a tiller are you planning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 41.5” from the head of the rudder head, the filler itself is 38.5”, and the tiller strap adds another 3”.

    ReplyDelete

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...