Sunday, July 26, 2020

Final Install of Torqueedo Motor Components & Cabin Paint


July 26, 2020




Getting ever closer to the splashing Sea Hang, there were still a few items left on the list.  Today I set out to complete the installation of the various Torqueedo components, and specifically the emergency shut-off switch and the power switch.  

First, I tackled the emergency shut-off switch, and decided to locate it aft of the throttle control and next to the display unit and tiller head (just out of the picture).  I drilled for the diameter of the component, and due to the thickness of the cockpit settee I had to drill and remove material in the interior of the locker in order to recess the shut-off switch.  



The installation was straightforward after having solved for the laminate thickness issue.  



I moved on to the power switch, which I decided to locate in the cabin for obvious reasons.  True, there is a battery switch, but I simply wanted a redundancy of safety for operation of the motor, and so opted to locate the power switch down below.



Installation was simple, after measuring for the diameter of the threaded power switch unit, I chose the appropriate hole saw and made the opening.  For all of the installations I made today, I came back and installed zip tie brackets.  This involved roughing up the backside of the brackets and the surface of the fiberglass upon which they would be installed.  I then wet the surfaces with neat epoxy, applied a small amount of thickened epoxy and then set them in position to cure.  



My final task for the day was to apply a fresh coat of paint on the cabin settees and the landing platform.  After scuffing up the surface with 320-grit paper, I wiped the surfaces clean and then applied the Interlux Premium Yacht Paint.  The boatyard is a necessary visit from time to time, but as one performs work on the boat, the boatyard takes a toll on the boat! 



The fresh coat of paint really brightened things up...and is a simply and quick maintenance item.



The landing platform ready for stepping....after she's dry of course!


Total Time Today: 3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...