Friday, June 12, 2020

Brightwork

June 13, 2020


With the structural work finished on the Allied 24, as well as the fast approaching completion of the paint, I needed to begin the multiple applications of varnish to the exterior wood work..  I chose Epifanes High Gloss for the exterior.  

But prior to getting to the brightwork, I needed to make a small modification to the lower drop board for the companionway.  My intent was to get a tighter fit on the companionway slide hatch and the drop boards, so to that end, I glued up a strip to the bottom-most drop board.  This project will become apparent in the coming weekend.



The companionway drop boards out of the way, I then turned my attention to the various brightwork components - interior, exterior, small, large, etc.  I began sanding from 80-grit to 120-grit, and setting the pieces to the side.



Tonight's varnish session was both made up of previously sanded components, as well as non-varnished components  



I worked my way through the various components - sanding the previously-applied varnish components with 320-grit paper; and then turned my attention to the non-varnished pieces with both 180-grit paper and 320-grit paper.



I ended up sanding the taff rail, companionway threshold, all of the companionway trip...and the coming coaming boards.



The coaming boards sanded, solvent-washed, and ready for varnish.



With all of the brightwork sand ad ready for varnish, well, I began to varnish the teak.  



For some, I noticed that a different application would be required, so Adjusted my technique to match the existing for.



The brightwork was coming along nicely - always a portion fo the project that I enjoy! 



I began taking pictures of the finished companionway trim, taff rail, and other miscellaneous items.



However, in the end, this boat WILL SHINE!



Total Time Today: 4.75

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...