Saturday, June 13, 2020

Brightwork (Ongoing)



June 13, 2020



Arriving at the shop, I unclamped the bottom drop board and sanded the surfaces fair.  There was little sanding work required, so this went quickly.  I then sanded both the bottom and top drop board through to 320 grit paper, vacuumed and wiped clean with solvent, and generally prepared for a first coat of sealer varnish.



The bottom drop board (one side) with its first coat of varnish - a thinned recipe to get a good penetration into the grain - note the small extension is virtually invisible.



The top drop board with its first coat of varnish.



While I had enough 'heavily' thinned varnish left, I decide to flip the coaming boards and apply the first sealer coat to the opposite side of each board.



Further, I quickly prepped the coaming return blocks by sanding and wiping down with a solvent, and then applied a sealer coat to the new teak that I had applied to these blocks.



I broke from boat work to address a few projects around the [rental] house, as well as grabbing a quick bite to eat, but then settled back in for more brightwork tasks.  I methodically worked my way through all of the pieces of brightwork that either had their first of second coat of varnish applied, and sanded those with 320-grit paper to rough up the surfaces.  The complete lineup can be seen below: 



With a fresh cup of Epifanes high-gloss varnish, I worked my way through the various brightwork pieces.  I started with the companionway slide hatch rails, and the aft cockpit trim / mainsheet traveler board.



I then moved on to the various small trim pieces around the companionway, as well as a couple pieces that comprise the aft toe rail assembly.



Moving on, I hit the taff rail, bow block, and more companionway trim pieces.



Having had a good amount of time to soak in and begin to cure, I decide to flip the drop boards and hit their other side with a thinned down varnish.



I finished off with the top drop board, first [sealer] coat of varnish.  That would wrap up the day's work.


Total Time Today: 2.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...