Sunday, June 14, 2020

Brightwork (Ongoing)



June 14, 2020



I'm continuing to roll through the varnish build up on the various brightwork pieces, so I devoted much of my time today to that task.  I am also doing a bit of paint work, though I did not capture that work in photos.  All pieces have 2 or 3 coats of varnish on them currently, with 5 being the target.  

I started today by sanding all of the pieces with 320-grit paper; the sanding work was not aggressive, but just enough pressure and coverage to rough up the surface and knock down anything standing proud.  Once I completed that sanding, I followed up with a thorough wipe down with a rag and solvent.



I lightly thinned the Epifanes high gloss varnish and began applying, starting with the coaming boards.



I moved on to the winch base pads, and then the coaming return blocks.



The upper drop board was next on the varnish list,



followed by the bottom drop board.



I then moved on to the bow cap, the taff rail, the companionway threshold, and forward trim board for the companionway.



I moved on next to more companionway trim boards and two toe rail pieces that sit adjacent to the taff rail.



Finally, I completed the mainsheet traveler board, and the companionway slide rails.



The last item I got to today was fitting the tiller onto the tiller strap (recently received from the owner, who had restored it).  After the tiller was fitted and shaped, I finished sanded it through to 320 grit paper.  I suspended the tiller and renewed the varnish effort.


Total Time Today: 3 hrs (tiller work not charged for time and materials)

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...