Thursday, June 25, 2020

Brightwork (Ongoing) and Prepping for Electric Motor Installation


June 25, 2020





The work today revolved mostly around getting things outlined and prepped for the installation of the Torqueedo electric motor.  Strategery is the word of the day.  I worked at mapping out the wire runs for the motor, control box and battery.  The immediate need was for a backing plate for the battery switch.  Inside the boat, I worked out the location for the switch, and that location required a backing plate.  I chose a leftover piece of the teak stock, and with the table saw and router I was able to shape a nice backing plate.



I laid the switch onto the backing plate and marked for the fasteners - #10-24 machine screws by 3" in length.  I drilled and then tapped the holes for the fasteners.



There were a number of places within the boat to set the battery switch, but I decided for the most accessible place - just beneath the bridge deck and just above the batteries.



I marked the location for the battery switch backing plate and sanded down to bare glass.



After mixing epoxy resin to wet the surfaces, I applied thickened epoxy to the backing plate and set it into position,  With a level, I ensured the backing plate was positioned correctly, and then taped it off to keep it in the proper orientation.



Whilst I was messing with the backing plate, I mapped out wire runs and strategically placed zip-tie mounts.  



the zip-tie mounts were handled in the same manner as the battery switch backing plate - I ground a bit of surface to bare glassy, and after cleaning up, applied thickened epoxy to the mount and then set it on the surface of the boat's interior.



Completing the interior of the boat, for today, I moved on to the final coat of brightwork.  I sanded all components, leaving a pile of teak boards on the shop floor.



I thoroughly vacuumed the surfaces and then wiped them down with a solvent.  After cleaning the pieces up and removing all sanding residue, I started to lay down the final coat of Epifanes high gloss.  I began with the coaming boards.



I would move on to a number of items, to include the drop boards, the companionway vertical trim boards, the winch base pads, etc.



I also managed to get a coat on the lazarette hatch.



Finally, I sanded and then varnished the tiller.  That would complete the day's work.


Total Time Today: 4.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...