Saturday, May 23, 2020

Aft Deck Cleats and Taping-off the Nonskid Surfaces



May 23, 2020


It was time to get the deck and cockpit painting started, well at least the prep for it.  I began by laying out the location of the aft deck cleats.  I decided to move them a bit further aft from where they were originally installed, and I also put them on an angle, which followed the outboard edge of the deck/hull/toe rail.  I applied tape to the deck to capture the location of the cleat itself, specifically the location of the fasteners. 



With the Aft cleats' locations established, I then turned to the nonskid surfaces for the aft deck and worked my way forward.  I would come back later in the day to over-drill the aft deck cleat fastener holes and fill them with thickened epoxy.  



The previous paint scheme held no nonskid for the aft deck, so I thought a safer layout would include at least a place to plant one foot on the poop deck.  I marked a modest  15" by 12" pattern (more trapezoid than rectangular, rounded the corners and removed the excess with a razor knife.



I repeated the same steps and process for the starboard side of the aft deck.



With the aft deck layout complete, I began to move forward by working on the side deck aft of the coaming cubby holes.  I generally pulled the nonskid borders in by 1.5", and rounded the intersecting lines, as well as deck fittings like drains.  From here, I moved into the cockpit seating and around to the bridge deck.  I did get to the cockpit floor given the need to epoxy-fill the over-drilled fastener holes for the aft deck cleats.  I finished this task, and then applied a skim coat of fairing compound over the over-drilled holes.



A closeup of the aft deck layout.


Total Time Today: 3.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...