Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Completing Cabin & V-berth Trim



April 29, 2020


I managed to get a few hours on the boat today, with a focus on completing the cabin and v-berth trim work.  What is left is dry-fitting the v-berth fiddles and then final shaping by sanding and easing edges for comfort.  I also need to permanently install a couple of the longitudinal trim pieces with epoxy resin, and then paint the v-berth insert.

In the photo below, I made the final dimensioning cuts on the fiddles, and then moved on to measuring for the fasteners.



In the shop, I chose three #10 machine screws per fiddle, port and starboard.  These fasteners will include finish washers, and be backed by washer and nylon locking nut.



I managed to mark, pre-drill, and then tap for the #10 machine screws - 3 per side.  I then installed the fiddles.  With that completed, all trim work was checked off the list.  Next step: remove the trim, final sanding, application of teak oil, and then final installation.



I removed all trim from the boat and carried it over to the shop.  I disassembled the v-berth insert, and installed bungs in the v-berth insert trim.



I then applied tape to protect the inserts center trim piece, and prepped the board for primer paint.  After mixing the Interlux Primekote and waited through the 20-minute induction / catalyzing period before applying the primer.  I removed the fasteners from the underside of the insert and applied primer paint to that surface.  After applying the primer paint, I reinstalled the screws to use them as a platform in order to paint the top surface.



I then applied the primer paint to the top surface of the v-berth insert.



With the painting complete, I turned my attention to working each of the trim pieces making up the v-berth and cabin trim.  I sanded through 150 and 180-grit discs until  I reach a surface ready for teak oil, which will come over the next few days.


Total Time Today: 3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...