Monday, April 13, 2020

Installing the 12V Battery Tray and Fabricating the Landing Platform Trim


April 13, 2020



I had only a bit of time today on the boat, so I decided to start on the landing platform trim.  But prior to that, there were a couple things that I wanted to knock out.  I started by installing the 12V battery tray.  I had some concern over the location of this battery tray, serving the needs of the DC-powered components, and frankly I still do have some concerns.  Trading some notes with the owner today, we talked ourselves into a smaller lithium battery that would promote ease of maintenance and access/removal.  The plan is unfolding...




I went ahead and assembled the landing platform / battery box for the 48V Torqueedo battery.  There is a bit of paint left (edges of the front panel above the settees), but this is the finished product sans trim.



A head-on view of the landing platform, without trim and fasteners installed.



I also placed the v-berth floor hatch in place, again without trim installed here.



With those items quickly dealt with, I started on the trim for the landing platform.  I made some measurements, settled on dimensions, and then grabbed some teak offcuts to begin the fabrication.  The dimensions would be 1" width by 1 and 1/4" height, with varying lengths.  This would provide a lower profile fiddle on the top panel of the landing platform in order to prevent tripping hazards coming into the cabin.  I made the appropriate length cuts, made the 45-degree end cuts, and then cut the rabbits so the trim would accept the edge of the landing platform.



I set the trim pieces in place for a quick photo, and then removed to continue sanding and marking for fasteners.


Total Time Today: 1.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...