Saturday, April 11, 2020

Painting the 12V Battery Compartment & the V-berth Floor



April 11, 2020



I made it over the Allied 24 in the afternoon to finish out the 12V battery compartment, as well as the v-berth floor.  I needed to sand and paint both areas to complete them.

I started with the 12V battery compartment...well, less of a compartment and more of a structure.  I needed a home for the boat's 12V battery, to power navigation lights, VHF, chart plotter, cabin lights, etc., and I wanted to put it on the centerline of the boat.  Now, the location does not excite me, and I see immediate downside (ease of access to remove/maintain, blocks access to the bilge, or bilge pump...), but apart from mounting it in the lazarette, this was the only workable location.  We may have to circle back to the lazarette idea.  Anyway, for the day's work, I removed the peel play from the cured epoxy tabbing work and gave it a good scuffing up around the edges across the field of the cured glass.  I then proceeded to dry-fit the battery tray in its final resting position, though completely removable.  I used three countersunk 1/4" machine screws on the forward  cross brace, and three 1/4" threaded bronze bolts on the aft.  With the dry-fit complete, I was ready to paint the area out.  



I again used the TotalBoat TotalProtect epoxy barrier coat paint for these areas that would generally not be lived in or seen.



Moving forward in the boat, I sanded the primed v-berth floor, vacuumed the sanding dust and thoroughly wiped it down with a solvent. I then applied the Interlux Premium Yacht Paint as I had done for the balance of the cabin and v-berth.  



Back in the shop, I applied the same Interlux finish paint to the v-berth floor hatch and to the exterior surfaces of the landing platform / battery box housing the 48V Torqueedo power supply.  With today's work, the interior painting is now complete.  Next on the list for interior work in installation the deadlights and ports, as well as fabricating and installing the various trim work.


Total Time Today: 3.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...