Monday, March 23, 2020

Second Coat of Topsides Paint


March 22, 2020



Picking up where I left off the day prior, I set out to complete the second round of topsides paint application.  I first used the shop vac, with a brush attachment, and thoroughly vacuumed the hull surfaces to remove the fine sanding dust.  The photo below shows a section of the starboard topsides that is vacuumed (right side of picture), and the surface yet to be vacuumed (left side of picture).  Secondly, I used several wet rags to remove the finer material that was not removed with the shop vac.  Finally, I came bag with several rags dampened with acetone to remove the remaining sanding debris and general contaminates.  



Back in the shop, I mixed a pot of of the Alexseal Flag Blue and set it to the side to wait out the 15-minute induction period - where the two-part paint begins to catalyze.  



At the end of the 15-minute induction period, I poured the paint through a paint strainer to remove any unwanted material...you know, the stuff that can ruin your paint day.



I then set out on the rough 90-minute paint odyssey.  Paint leveled out nicely with no kamikaze insects for the paint session.  Weather was overcast with a slight breeze; temperatures in the high 70s.


Total Time Today: 2 hrs

2 comments:

  1. After making a store run to get (of course) more sandpaper and some other paint brushes for my epoxy primer, instead of actually doing some boat work I read this project log from start up to present! I have a 1965 South Coast 23 (another Alberg design), hull #25, up in Illinois, without even so much as a roof over it, so my work time is a little bit more limited. Between the Typhoons, Froonie, and this Greenwich I kind of get a bit of deja-vu reading through your blogs and seeing a boat shape and work progression so similar to mine! I have the doghouse faired and primed, and have been working on the cockpit, though I'm scratching my head a bit over how to correct some crookedness I introduced, as I seem to have pushed the footwell up a bit at the fore end replacing core in the bridgedeck while it was braced from underneath (working too fast and carelessly I guess). Over the winter I have repaired and faired my fiberglass hatches, and worked on several pieces of the brightwork, which I am making out of ipe. Hopefully by the end of this season I will have the deck and topsides painted, also with a shade of blue. The gelcoat on this old boat is terrible, and I have pretty much had to grind the bulk of it away with how cracked it is from being too thick and old age. There is also some significant hollow and ridging in the topsides which will take some aggressive sanding and fairing to look good under a blue paint. I'm looking forward to seeing how both your boat and mine will continue to shape up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I just saw your post...man, I must be busy! Great to hear you are doing the work to restore one of Alberg's classics. If you can, send me a pic, or link, as I would enjoy seeing your project. -Brian

    ReplyDelete

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...