Saturday, March 21, 2020

Topsides Sanding & Companionway Trim Work



March 22, 2020



My focus today was to get the companionway trim started, specifically the installation.  All of the trim pieces are constructed, so the next step was to prep them for final installation.  For the trim components that could be compromised with potential water intrusion, I decided to drill-fill-drill.  Which is to say, I will be over-drilling the fastener holes, and then filling with thickened epoxy.  The final fastener hole will be pre-drilled within the center of the epoxy filler, isolating any potential water intrusion from the surrounding balsa core material.



I laid out the orientation of the companionway hatch trim boards, and then marked and taped off the outlines for the hatch trim boards.  



With a 1/2" forstner bit, I drilled out the area that the fastener would be installed.  I completed this for the eight (8) fasteners per side.  Each of the holes I drilled went through the fiberglass topskin, through the balsa core, and just into the bottom skin but not through it.    

'


Next, I came back and cleaned out the drilled holes, and then wetted them with straight epoxy resin.  I made my way back to the shop to mix additional epoxy resin, and this time thickened it with 406 colloidal silica.  I worked the thickened epoxy into each hole, and finished by cleaning up the surface surrounding the holes.  It will be in these holes that I will pre-drill for the fasteners.  Any water that makes its way into the hole will be isolated from the surrounding balsa core - preserving the integrity of the coach roof.



I finished the day with a hefty task - sanding the first application of topsides paint.



I made my way around the boat by hand-sanding as well as using the 5" random orbital with 220-grit discs.



I completed the work and cleaned up the work area and shop.  My intention is to get the second coat applied tomorrow.  


Total Time Today: 6 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...