Saturday, July 25, 2020

Installing the Repaired Port Coaming Block Cap, Bow and Stern Chocks


July 25, 2020





Making my way to Sea Hagg this morning, I set out to reinstall the repaired port coaming block cap.  At the boat, I took the varnish down to near bare wood, then installed the cap.  I followed the installation with bunging the fasteners holes in a process involving using the Epifanes varnish as a glue of sorts.  Next, I knocked down the height of the bungs with a small chisel, and then fine-tuned the surfacing with sand paper.  I immediately followed this work with a solvent wipe down and then application of varnish.



On to the primary work - installing the chocks on the bow and stern.  The chocks serve to tame the docking, mooring, anchoring lines as they are tied off on the deck cleats.  I started at the bow of Sea Hagg, finding the near precise positioning of the chocks due to the location of the foredeck cleat, the toe rail fasteners, and the hull-to-deck joint fasteners.  I accomplished this by going below and taking measurements of the hull-to-deck joint fasteners from the toe rail fasteners.  Doing this left me with a rough area of potential installation; and the chocks needed to be more forward of the foredeck cleat.



After arriving at the location of the chocks, I marked and pre-drilled in order to tap for 1/4"-20 silicone bronze machine screws.


After tapping the fastener holes, I then used a countersink bit to create a taper at the mouth of the fastener hole, this would allow for a good amount of Sitka Flex 291-LOT to bed around the opening.  I bedded the chocks and set the machine screws in place, squeezing out an ample amount of bedding compound.



Next, I went below and installed 1/4" silicone bronze washers and nuts, followed by a stainless steel locking nut with a nylon insert.



I cleaned up the Sitka Flex bedding compound squeeze out, and this completed the installation. 



I then moved to the taff rail and essentially repeated the process of laying out, marking, pre-drilling, and then tapping the fastener holes for the aft chocks.



With the fastener holes drilled and tapped, I then countersunk the mouths of the fasteners holes to allow for bedding compound.



I installed the chocks with a good amount of Sitka Flex 291-LOT, cleaning up the squeeze out, and then securing the washers and nuts from below.  This completed installation of the chocks.  I also cleaned up the surfaces of the chocks with light sandpaper to slightly polish them.  Over time, the chocks will develop and patina once again...but for now...


Total Time Today: 3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...