Saturday, February 29, 2020

Final Coat of Primer for the Deck, Coaming Block Work, and the Tiller



February 29, 2020



Having previously spot-faired and sanded the entirety of the cockpit, coachroof, and deck, I chose to apply the final coat of epoxy primer paint to those same surfaces.  I began by cleaning the deck of debris, pollen, and generally any surface contaminates that might ruin my day.  I finished the prep by wiping the surface down with Interlux 202 surface prep, a de-waxing and surface cleaner.




With the deck prepped for painting, I mixed a small pot of the TotalBoat TotalProtect epoxy primer.  I applied with both a foam brush and a foam roller.  



The foam brush was used for the tighter areas (the gutters for the cockpit lockers primarily), and the foam roller for the "field" areas.  The next step for the cockpit, coachroof and deck will be finish paint and nonskid!



I returned to the shop to continue work on the port coaming block.  This coaming block was standing too far off the cabin sides, and required a bit more dimension of the width.  I would achieve this by epoxy glueing a thin teak slab to the inboard edge.  I cleaned both glue surfaces with acetone, and then applied epoxy resin to the bare wood.  With the remaining resin, I thickened it with "wood flour" (very fine teak sawdust) to achieve a consistent color, and then placed the two pieces together.  The next steps here will be to trim the excess material and shape for final installation.



I decided to knock off for the balance of the afternoon, and "EQ", or Early Quit, at least for the billable work.  For the remaining time I had at the boat, I decided to continue work on the tiller.  At this point, I had a laminated blank of teak and white oak, alternating layers of the different wood species.  I transferred the curvature of the original tiller onto the new lamination, and then began to shape it to a pleasing dimension.



I used a number of sanders in my arsenal, as well as good old hand sanding to reach the final shape.



Progressing to 180-grit sand paper, I smoothed the surfaces to the point where they were ready for varnish.



For this tiller, I decided to create a "head" on it, or a place to rest ones forefinger, telegraphing the end of the tiller without having to look at it.



Happy with the results, I prepared the surfaces of the tiller for a sealer coat of varnish - wiping it down with acetone to remove any remaining sanding residuals.  I thinned the Epifanes varnish with its own proprietary thinning agent, and applied the varnish with a foam brush.



This will be the first of roughly 5 to 6 coats of varnish for the tiller.


Total Time Today: 2.5 hrs  (Time & Materials for the tiller will not be billed)

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...