Monday, November 26, 2018

Interior Sanding (Final)



November 26, 2018



After copious amounts of triptophane, I was able to make it out of the house for a solid day of grinding the interior  - the final day of grinding.  I donned the grinding outfit (Tyvek suit, gloves, full-face respirator and hearing protection), and got to it.  I made a full day of it, eager to be done with this aspect of the Allied's restoration.  The weather is now easing a bit here in the sunny south, and that has made this task bearable. I've done a past bottom job in Tyvek, in the summer, in Florida....and it's not fun.  The weather is the thing - to borrow from, with alteration, one of the Bard's famous lines. 

I outfitted my 4.5" angle grinder with a 40-grit flap wheel and removed the old paint, and generally smoothed out the heavy roving used to layup the coach roof.  Using an angle grinder on laminate is not for the faint of heart....especially on surfaces that will be visible.  The grinder is a bull in a china shop, with the flap wheel somewhat taming the beast slightly.  The operator needs a keen hand and concentration to ensure the surfaces are not "dished out" in abusive regularity and severity.  I do have several places to fill and fare, so the surface at the moment are far from where I intend for them to be.  Finishing the surfaces will come, along with several other tasks.



It felt good to have this aspect of the refit completed.  I started at the bow, grinding the overhead.  At the bow I will be rebuilding the foredeck, to correct a previous repair attempt that was done in a completely temporary manner.  With future fiberglass work in mind, I ground the surrounding surfaces of the obscene opening to ensure it was ready to receive new glass.  I then made my way back on the port side, working the overhead and the surfaces beneath the side deck.  I worked the cabin top overhead next, and then turned my attention to the port hull sides.  I finished on the aft portion of the cabin - the surfaces beneath the bridge deck and the forward surface of the cockpit well.  


It was awful...but it's done!

Total Time Today: 6.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...