Saturday, January 26, 2019

Sanding the Decks (Part 1)


January 26, 2019


Back from an epic sail in the Caribbean, and taking a short break from the hospital (enjoying the new addition to our family), I got a couple hours on the Allied 24 today.  With temperatures a bit too chilly to layup the top skin on the coach roof, I decided to begin removing the old topcoat from the decks.  The topcoat application was done poorly, as has most repairs on this classic little yacht, so getting done to the new paint prep layer is extremely satisfying.  

I used the a 6" random orbital sander with a dust vac. system, applying 60-grit discs for the paint removal.  I began with the poop deck and worked my way forward.  Since I only had  a couple hours until I needed to get back to the family, I narrowed my focus to the horizontal surfaces on the aft portion of the boat.  The key to the removal was changing discs with regular frequency; delaying the change meant slowing the progress, as the paint and filler would inevitably clog it.  Previous repair work revealed itself as I went along, and these areas would be looked at closely to ensure they are ready fairing and new paint. 




With the poop deck complete, I moved onto the starboard side deck and worked forward.  As I finished the starboard side deck, I switched to the aft portion of the port side deck and again worked forward.  I stopped at the aft end of the raised cabin - the aft bulkhead of the cabin top, or coach roof. The side decks complete, I then moved onto the bridge deck and seats within the cockpit well.  



The final portion of sanding today would be the coach roof itself, just up to the tape line protecting the new core.  Again in this area, previous repairs revealed themselves. Additional fill work is required in the cockpit as well as sanding the vertical surfaces, but making great progress.


Total Time Today: 2.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...