Friday, February 1, 2019

Sanding the Decks (Part 2)


February 1, 2019


I picked up where I left off from the previous work session - sanding the decks; but prior to doing so, I decided to pull the chainplates and deck cover plates to allow for unencumbered access to the deck surfaces.  



With a couple wrenches applied to the bolt head and nut, I backed out each of them - three per chainplate.



I labeled each of the chainplates: port and starboard forward, middle and aft plates.  I will set these aside and clean them up at a later time, though the owner may decide to replace all chainplates.



With the Bosch 6" ROS and 60-grit pads, I moved from the starboard side deck at the aft bulkhead of the coachroof and then moved forward.  The existing topcoat paint (nonskid material), and primer paint, came off fairly easily, but did reveal areas where the original gelcoat was chipping and cracking, leaving voids that would require filling and fairing.



With the side decks finished, I changed to sanding tools: a 5" ROS outfitted with 40-grit discs.  the sides of the coachroof were a bit more difficult to sand since I could not lean over onto the tool and use body weight to aide in material removal.  In removing the topcoat, I could see that the Allied 24 has had some "interesting" paint schemes through its lifetime.  Well that would soon be corrected, as the current owner has elected a classic paint scheme for his Allied 24.



As I had done with the side decks, I worked my way around the coachroof from port aft to starboard aft.



I was able to removed most of the existing topcoat on the coach roof sides with the exception of what is hiding underneath the blue tape.  With a recent trip and coal temperatures delaying the application of the coachroof's new top skin, I taped off this area to protect it from blowing rain and debris.



I transitioned around the forward portion of the coach roof...



...and back down the starboard side, as mentioned previously. 



Lastly, I came back to the bow and sanded this area around the foredeck repair.  With temperatures once again warming up to a more Florida-like winter, I will be addressing the foredeck and coachroof core repair areas.



Total Time Today: 5.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...