Sunday, January 13, 2019

Coach Roof Core Installation


January 13, 2019



In the previous work session I managed to prepare the surfaces of the coach roof for the new core, as well as prepare the materials for the installation: core and two layers of 1708 biaxial cloth.  Today, I resumed the work on the coach roof by first test-fitting the core material.  I had a minor bit of trimming to do on the large aft section, to port.  With those minor modifications, the core material slipped into position beautifully.  I had some irregular bottom skin surface to either side of the new mast step, so I solved this issue by using a thinner piece of Divinycell foam core in these areas.  I will also apply thickened epoxy to bring these slightly lower areas to fair with the surrounding surfaces. 

I carefully removed the core and set the pieces to the side.  Next, I mixed thickened epoxy by combining 406 colloidal silica and 407 low-density filler to form a good gap filling consistency, and spread it into the voids beneath the existing top skin around the perimeter of the opened coach roof.



Back in the shop, I mixed a couple large batches of thickened epoxy, again using 406 & 407, and with a notched trowel spread it onto the bottom skin.  I carefully placed the large portion of core material onto the bed of thickened epoxy.  I worked the core into the thickened epoxy, applying even pressure across the coach roof, and supported by the braces I installed previously.  With a squeegee, I cleaned up the epoxy squeeze out, ensuring it filled the small gaps around the perimeter of the work area.  I placed the sand bags (weights) onto the newly installed core as I progressed. 



I finished with the two smaller areas to either side of the centerline, and again placed the weighted sand bags.  There is yet more work to do at the integral mast support beam, and will have to wait for the next session.  Also, the two layers of 1708 cloth will be installed after the core cures in place.



Total Time Today: 2.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...