Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Torqueedo Motor and Electronics Box Install, Non-Skid Taping, and a bit of Plumbing



July 7, 2020



I started the day by creating a template for the Torqueedo electronics box, in order to mount it onto the bulkhead supporting the cockpit sole.  I placed the template in position and then drilled for the 4 #10 machine screws that I would use to secure it to the bulkhead.  



The electronics box required that I first install the positive and negative (as well as data wire) wires from the lower unit prior to mounting it onto the bulkhead.  So, I turned my attention to mounting the lower unit...the business end of the motor.  I had a bit of fine-tuning to do on the holes I had previously drilled into the counter of the Allied - to accept the tubing/wiring of the motor.  After finishing the fine-tuning work, I thoroughly vacuumed and wiped down the surfaces to prepare for bedding compound and installation.  I used a saw horse to support the motor, as it was partially inserted into the counter.  With the motor supported, and having full access to the mounting block and mounting flange, I then liberally cooped up the surfaces with Sitka-Flex 291-LOT.  I then pressed the motor further into the counter, and supported it with a wood wedge.



I scrambled up into the cockpit, and with a wrench, then fully secured the motor to the counter of the boat.  As can be seen, I had good squeeze out of the 291-LOT.  



I cleaned up the squeeze out, and then admired the install.  My fabrication and planning work on the install had the motor angled slight down, moving forward to aft, and the angle is apparent in the photo.



The alignment along the centerline of the boat is also dead-on.  



With the business end of the motor installed, and wiring running through to the electronics box, I could now secure the wiring in the box, close the panel, and mount the box to the bulkhead.



The installation was easy enough, a bit fussy with the up and down and in and out of the boat, but she came together as planned.



The view in the lazarette hatch, showing the wiring from the lower unit moving through the aft cockpit bulkhead (protected with chaff gear) and forward to the electronics box.



The view of the port side cockpit locker, housing the electronics box.  At this time, I also chose to install the plumbing line from the cockpit seat gutter to the cockpit sole.  The gutter (just below the coaming boards, gathers water and then funnels it into the cockpit, to then be delivered overboard by way of the seacocks.



The starboard cockpit gutter plumbing installed as well.


Total Time Today: 7 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...