Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Lazarette Hatch Support, Taff Rail, and Coaming Block Pads


July 6, 2020



Today's work mostly revolved around the aft portion of the boat.   I started with  installing hatch supports for the lazaretto hatch.  This required that I fabricate mounting blocks for the hardware.  I first tied off the hatch in the open position, and then fabricated the mounting blocks out of teak, sanding through to 320 grit paper.  I pre-drilled the mounting blocks for fasteners and then assembled the mounting blocks to both port and starboard supports.  



Next, I placed the supports in position, and marked for their installation by taping off the boundary for he mounting block on the underside of the hatch as well as the forward and aft boundary of the block to be located on the lip of the lazarette itself.  With the mounting blocks' final resting place positioned, I dissembled the blocks from the hardware and predrilled on the underside of the hatch.  

At this point, I was ready for installation...meaning using epoxy to glue the mounting blocks in final position.  I ground off a bit of fiberglass on the lazarette well and roughed up the underside of the hatch.  I then applied epoxy resin (neat) to the surfaces, mixed in some colloidal silica in the remaining resin, buttered up the backsides of the mounting blocks, and then set them in position.  I secured the upper mounting blocks with fasteners into the underside of the hatch, and the lower mounting blocks were secured with vices.



Later in the day, with the epoxy near fully cured, I closed the hatch.  I did have to do some chisel work on the upper mounting blocks to allow for a neat and tight fit, but that was accomplished fairly easily.



In the course of the day's work I managed to fabricate two new coaming block pads.  I selected a couple pieces of scrap teak, took a bevel reading on the cabin sides to coaming block angle, and then cut that angle on the soon to be new coaming block pads.



I then figured out the sizing of the pads, and made the appropriate cuts followed by  finish sanding to shape.  I finished the coaming block pads with a couple fastener holes cut into them, using a forstner bit.




I installed the starboard coaming block pad, followed by the 3/8" bungs, and then varnished the pad in situ.



I replicated the efforts on the port side coaming block pad.  In the next day or two, I will trim the bungs and repeat the varnish work.


Total Time Today: 6.25 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...