Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Installation of the Starboard Ports and the Lazarette Hatch



June 30, 2020



Upon arrival at the old girl this afternoon I got started with the glueing up of a base that would accept mounting of the hook latch to keep the landing platform in an open position.  In the previous session I had marked the location of the teak base, so today was about getting it epoxied into position.  I removed the interior paint in the area that the teak base would be secured to, wiped it down with acetone, and then wet it out with epoxy resin.  I also at this time applied resin to the back of the teak base. With the remaining resin, I thickened it with colloidal silica and applied it to the back of the teak base.  Finally, I placed the teak base into position and secured it with tape while the epoxy cured.



On to the starboard ports!  I dry-fitted the ports and ensured that all of the fastener holes were aligned.  I gooped up the backside of the interior flange with Sitka Flex 291 LOT and placed it into position.  I also applied a fair amount of 291 LOT on the exterior flange, and then placed it into position.  There was ample squeeze out on the interior and the exterior.  

With a filleting tool, I managed to extract most of the squeeze out, and finished the installation by cleaning the remaining bedding compound with a rag and acetone and mineral spirits.



I repeated the steps for the forward starboard portlight.



It's nice to get the boat at least partially weather tight - amazing what Florida thunderstorms manage to blow around!



To wrap up the afternoon's work, I managed to get the lazaretto hatch installed.  I had previously fabricated backing plates for the installation, made out of some leftover fiberglass panels removed from the boat.  The new hinges work exceptionally well.


Total Time Today: 3 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...