Thursday, May 21, 2020

Lazarette Hatch, Cabin Deadlight Trim, and V-berth Floor Trim



May 21, 2020




A managed to escape the home office in the late afternoon for a couple hours work on the Allied 24.  I picked up where I last left off with continued work on changing out the lazarette hatch hinges, which required filling the old fasteners holes, and marking then over-drilling and filling with thickened epoxy the new fastener holes.  I applied a skim coat of fairing compound today, which I will need to sand fair tomorrow and continue on to tapping the holes for the new fasteners.




I left the poop deck and moved onto the cabin deadlight openings.  The cabin sides are too narrow for the straight installation of the deadlights, and so require a trim ring on the interior to provide enough depth for the install.  Today, I fine-tuned the openings to accept the deadlights.



The fine-tuning involved sanding a bit here and a bit there until the fit was snug.



Happy with the snug fit, I wiped down the trim rings with an acetone wash, and then mixed a small amount of resin.



I applied the epoxy resin on the surfaces of the trim rings to seal them from any potential damage from water intrusion.



Having but a little time today, I moved on to the last piece of interior trim (I think!), which was on the aft edge of the v-berth floor.  I took a measure of the span, grabbed a piece of teak stock, and headed over to the table saw.  I removed a section of the teak stock so that the trim would sit flush on the v-berth floor.



Happy with the fit, I eased the edges and surfaces by sanding through 180-grit paper, pre-drilled for three #8 wood screws, and then dry-fitted the trim piece.



Final step this evening was to apply teak oil to the v-berth floor trim piece - installation tomorrow.


Total Time Today: 2 hrs





No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...