Sunday, May 17, 2020

Hatch Work, Interior Trim, and 12V Battery Install


MY 17, 2020


Getting ever closer to the point of having all of the brightwork and deck hardware dry-fitted for the application of the finish paint, I pushed on today with the lazaretto hatch.  I need to change out the hinges securing the hatch, and so over the last couple days worked to remove and repair the structure to accomplish this task.  Today, I set the hatch in place, applied tape in order to place and align the hinges, marking for drilling for fasteners.



On the poop deck, I over-drilled the locations for the #10 fasteners with a 1/2" forstner bit.



I then cleaned the surfaces with acetone, wet the holes with resin, and then filled with thickened epoxy (West System 406 colloidal silica).



Taking care of other items while the thickened epoxy set up, I later came back and applied TotalBoat TotalFair, epoxy-based fairing compound.  I would sand these areas fair in the coming day, and just prior to tapping for the #10 machine screws.



Back in the shop, I tapped the lazarette hatch for the #10 machine screws.



And then installed the hinges onto the lazarette hatch.  I set the hatch to the side, and focused on other items.



In the boat I needed to address the base of the battery tray for the 12V lithium ion battery.  I wanted to install a rubber base to dampen vibration as well as help to provide a friction surface to keep the battery from moving around in seas.  The solution was to epoxy-glue a couple 11"-long rubber pads to the bottom of the tray.  To this end, I cleaned the surface of the battery tray with acetone, and then applied epoxy resin to wet it out.  I then thickened the remaining resin with 406 colloidal silica, and placed the pads in position.



I went ahead and set the battery in place - it's weight would serve to achieve a good surface bond between the rubber pads and the battery tray.  Finally, I secured the battery with a strap.



Once again back in the shop, I pulled the landing platform trim and installed them with #8 wood screws finished with cup washers.



I carried the landing platform over to the boat and set it in place.  The oiled teak provided a nice contrast to the interior finish paint.


Total Time Today: 4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...