Friday, May 15, 2020

Forward Hatch Install & Trim for Cabin Deadlights


May 15, 2020



Looking to get all the deck and coachroof details tucked away so that topcoat paint can be applied, I set out to get the forward hatch installation completed.  I oriented the hatch around the raised fiberglass trim (underneath the hatch) to provide equal dimension around all four sides.  I then set the hatch hinges 2" inboard from the outboard edges.



Back in the shop, I pre-drilled to tap #8 fasteners, and then over-drilled the interior surface with a 1/2" forstner bit to recess the nut.



I assembled the hinges on the forward hatch, and then set out for the boat...



Aboard the Allied 24, I pre-drilled for #8 fasteners and then tapped the holes to accept the machine screws.  



The forward hatch mounted and partially opened.



A view of the forward hatch from the companionway.



With the forward hatch complete, I then turned my attention to the trim for the cabin deadlights.  The deadlights used on this Allied 24, and the deadlights to be reused, had a dimensions too thick for the fiberglass cabin sides and required a spacer of sorts.  I fabricated the spacer out of teak stock, and not set out to glue them in place.



I clamped the trim to the interior of the cabin sides and applied a layer of protective tape - to catch any epoxy squeeze out.  After applying the tape and removing the trim rings, I sanded the interior surface down to bare fiberglass to prepare for the epoxy resin.  With a quick vacuum and solvent wipe down, I applied the "neat" epoxy resin,  followed by the thickened epoxy.  With the thickened epoxy applied to the interior of the cabin sides, I then set the trim rings in place.  Clamping the rings ensured good contact between the trim and the interior cabin sides.  I came back an applied thickened epoxy to any gaps that remained.  Finished sanding and installation of the deadlights will follow.


Total Time Today: 3.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...