Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Battery Box / Landing Platform Assembly


April 8, 2020


I set out today to spend a couple hours dry-fitting the battery box / landing platform as one comes into the cabin.  I wanted to assemble the components in order to identify needed cleats to help secure the assembly, as well as make notation for required hardware.  Before getting to the landing platform I needed to water-wash the amine blush from the cured epoxy that I previously applied to the v-berth floor.  In the prior work session, I sanded the initial application of fairing compound and then reapplied the final round, this time using West System's 410 Microlight.  I had planned to come back to the v-berth floor after messing about the landing platform, but ran out of time; I will sand the surfaces next time and apply white epoxy barrier paint as a substrate for the finish paint. 



With the v-berth floor water-washed, I turned my attention to the landing platform.  This assembly would serve two purposes: first, it would provide a step down into the cabin from the bridge deck, and secondly, it would house the large 48-volt Torqueedo battery, powering the pod drive system.  I started by drilling and tapping for the 5/16" fasteners that would secure the battery in place.  I utilized two large pieces of teak, roughly 2" X 2" and 10" in width, to serve as supports for the battery.  Upon each of the two teak supports, I installed flanges outboard, forward and aft to keep the battery securely on the platform.  Once the battery is in place, I will further installed strapping over the top to keep it from coming off of its supports.



The view inside of the battery box, with the aft support unsecured, and the forward support secured with the 5/16" machined bolts, washers and locking nylon nuts.   Also visible in the below photograph are the teak side panel supports, both to port and starboard.  These side panel supports were secured with drilling and tapping for 1/4" machine screws, locking washers and locking nylon nuts.



The landing platform / battery box is assembled, sans teak trim.  I also made note of areas to apply finish paint, as well as fasteners, both of which would be coming in the next few days.



Total Time Today: 2.5 hrs


No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...