Sunday, March 29, 2020

Dry-fitting the Companionway Trim (Part 2)



March 29, 2020



I set out today to dry-fit the balance of the companionway trim - the threshold piece and the boards that would lock the drop boards in place.  I started by setting the threshold board in position, and then set the starboard inner and outer boards, faceplates, that would secure the drop boards.  With the faceplates set to their final location, I marked and pre-drilled for the 1.75" #10 fasteners.  I repeated the exercise for the port side of the companionway, and then removed the faceplates and headed to the wood shop for further work.



In the shop, I used a forstner bit to create a recess for an eventual bung.  I did this to the four fastener holes on the inner starboard faceplate as well as the inner port faceplate, and finally for the two fasteners on the threshold piece. 



I followed up by countersinking each of the fastener holes.



Back on the boat, I assembled the balance of the companionway trim to complete the dry-fit.



The companionway came out great.  In the coming week, I will be working on building the two interlocking drop boards that will complete the companionway brightwork. 


Total Time Today: 2.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...