Sunday, February 23, 2020

Trimming the Winch Pads and Sanding the Topsides



February 23, 2020



I began today's session by getting started with sanding the topsides.  I wanted to get a first coat of topsides paint onto the hull, but it was likely that the time required to mix paint and prep the hull after  the sanding exercise would put me well into the evening.  Nevertheless, I pushed on with the task.




I began by sanding the transitions from port and starboard topsides to transom, and the lip at the sheer line where the hull turned inward to create the flange for the deck to be through-bolted.  These transitions would require a more delicate approach - hand-sanding.  I cleaned up the transom, and then worked the starboard side and around to the port.  



With these more delicate surfaces sanded and complete, I broke out the Bosch 6" orbital and completed the field of the transom and topsides with 150-grit hook and loop pads.



I rounded off the sanding with some additional detail work by hand.  With the time just after 5pm, I knew that I could not begin application of the topsides paint unless I wanted to apply in the dark.  The first coat would have to wait, and so I turned my attention back to the shop.



In the shop, I cleaned up the teak lamination  I had made a few days earlier.  My intention was to glue this additional thickness to the existing port coaming block; however, the temperatures were too cold to allow for epoxy work, and so this would also have to wait.



I gathered the recently fabricated teak winch bases and set out for the boat to mark for further refinement.  The winch pads as constructed were a bit tall, with the port side pad a good 1/8" over the coaming board and the starboard pad a good 3/8" over the coaming board.



I measured for trimming, set up the table saw to accommodate, and then made the cuts to allow an aesthetically pleasing height for both port and starboard.  That would complete the weekend's work.


Total Time Today: 4.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...