Sunday, January 12, 2020

Starboard Toe Rail Dry-fit



January 12, 2020



After arriving at the boat in the afternoon, I started on the v-berth floor.   I removed the clamps, marked and pre-drilled for fasteners.  After pre-drilling for the #10 wood screws, I used a countersink to allow the screw to be slightly recessed.  The plan was to recess the screw and apply a fairing compound over the top to hide the screw head.  I managed to install all the screws, further securing the cleats, but then had the balance of my time taken up by the initial install of the starboard toe rail.



I erected a few lines, fore and aft, to support the unwieldy length of toe rail, and to help align the rail as I worked my way from the bow to the stern installing the fasteners.



I am using #12-24 machine screws for the installation of the toe rails, backed by locking nuts and nylon washer.  For today's dry-fit, I used a forstner bit to first create a space for bungs to be inserted, but then used a pilot drill bit for the #12-24 tap.  



As I moved aft, I drilled for the bung, drilled the pilot hole, tapped for the machine screw, and finally screwed the #12-24 machine screw securely in place.



I will repeat the process for the 32 fasteners on the port side...a milestone for me on refits that involve new brightwork.


Total Time Today: 3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...