Saturday, December 7, 2019

Priming the Cockpit & Lazarette Shelving Buildout


December 7, 2019




I got started today by water-washing the fairing round that I had applied to the cockpit in the previous work session.  The water-wash was to remove the amine blush that forms on the cured surface of the epoxy fairing compound.  I used my go-to tools: scotch write pads with water to remove the blush.



With the surfaces of the faired areas clean, I moved on to both hand-sanding and sanding with the 6" Bosch DA sander.  Over the course of a couple hours, I brought the faired areas to a point where primer paint couple be applied.  



In the shop, I mixed the Interlux 2-part Primekote product, and waited the 20-minute induction time period before getting started with the priming.



I applied the primer paint both with a foam brush as well as a foam roller pad.  For the most part, the area was prepped for finish paint.



With the cockpit primed, I turned my attention to the lazarette.  The work required for the lazarette was both installation of the backing plate for the Torqeedo motor mount and shelving to port and starboard of the centerline.



I prepared the backing plate for the pod-drive motor installation, using a 5/8" sheet of G-10 fiberglass panel. I allowed for 1.5" around the extreme width and length of the motor mounting pad.  Final installation would come tomorrow.



I then began work on the shelving, to both port and starboard.  I used panels of cardboard to replicate the surface of the lazarette.  



I scribed the aft cockpit bulkhead and interior surface of the counter onto the cardboard shelf analogues.  



I applied the cardboard analogue to a sheet of meranti plywood, and cut out the shelving bulkhead.  I then transferred the inboard to outboard angle of the transom to the bulkhead, and then removed the surplus material...resulting in a tight fit.



I repeated the process for the port side....and prepared for gluing in during the next work session.


Total Time Today: 5.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...