Saturday, November 30, 2019

Cockpit Fairing & Hatch Varnish Work


November 30, 2019



With a number of domestic items to cover and bring to a close over the weekend, I was limited today to the time on the boat.  I did, however, make the most of it and set myself up for a productive day tomorrow.  The first thing that I did was to water-wash the skim applied to the bridge deck in the previous work session - to remove any amine blush that might have formed on the cured epoxy surface.  After drying the surface, I used the 6" Bosch sander to sand the surface down.  After sanding, I realized that I needed yet another skim coat to complete the bridge deck repair, so I did just that.  




While I was at it, I took the opportunity to fill (after sanding and solvent-washing the areas) a number of small voids within the cockpit - most along the settee and gutter edges of the cockpit lockers and aft well locker.  These areas will be sanding far tomorrow, prior to the final primer coat of paint.



In the cockpit, to starboard, I needed to effect a repair to the winch cubby.  There was a bit of flex on the inward-forward top corner of the cubby, so to reinforce it I removed paint down to bare fiberglass and prepped for a couple layers of 1708 biaxial fiberglass.  I cleaned the surfaces with solvent, and then wet them out with neat epoxy.  I returned to the shop and wet out two layers of 1708 biaxial and then placed a layer of peel ply on top of the two layers of fiberglass.  With the remaining resin, I thickened it with 406 colloidal silica and 407 low-density fairing compound.  With this fairing compound, I smoothed out the roughest of the surfaces within the winch cubby.  With the surfaces prepped within the winch cubby, I returned to the shop to pick up the fiberglass.  Back on the boat, I placed the fiberglass cloth, with peel ply, into position and ensured that any trapped air was removed from the laminate.  The repair will significantly reinforce and correct any flex issues with the winch cubby. 



With remaining time, I had the three hatches sanded and ready for the start of 5 successive coats of varnish which will complete them and ready them for installation.


Total Time Today: 2.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...