Thursday, December 19, 2019

Fabricating New Coaming Boards


December 19, 2019



Having an afternoon dermatological preventive maintenance session scheduled, I had just enough time today to get the new coaming boards roughed out of the 1" thick teak stock.  In a previous work session I had attempted to run coaming board 'blanks' through my planer, but the old Delta just could not keep pace with the teak boards. Enter the new planer - a Dewalt 13" machine.  She did quite well on the first board, nearly getting all the way through to the desired 3/4" thickness, when she suddenly stopped mid-board.  The teak hardwood was just too much to ask of the old, uh, new gal.  In the end, and after letting the machine reset, I got the board through the planer, arriving at the desired 3/4" thickness.

The second board presented similarly mild complications, and in the end I able to successfully remove 1/4" of thickness from each board.



I was fast running out of time, but wanted to see the boards, the very rough boards, in their future place.



In the next work session, I will be fine-tuning the boards for that comfort-fit.  



The last item that I had time to get...the cockpit locker lids.  I had previously applied fairing compound to the old fastener holes, as well as a fiberglass patch to a rather large fastener hole.  I used the small 5" random orbital sander to remove the excess material and fair the surface.  I will be applying a skim coat of the TotalBoat TotalFair product to finish fairing the surfaces prior to primer paint. 


Total Time Today: 3.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...