Thursday, October 31, 2019

Final Shaping of the Companionway Hatch


October 31, 2019



Having arrived from a work trip in the late afternoon, I decided to get in a couple hours on the boat.  The companionway hatch was glued and cured, and was now in need of shaping, so that would be my focus for this afternoon.  

I began by moving the work table outside the shop, and then placing the companionway hatch on top.    I outfitted the large router with a straight-cutting bit, with a guide bearing.  The guide bearing would run alongside the hatch frame to trim the overhanging top flush.  With a hand saw, I first trimmed some of the longer slats comprising the hatch top. I then applied the router to the hatch, making my way around the frame of the hatch.  With the hatch top now flush to the hatch frame on all sides, I changed to a 1/4" round over router bit.  This round over bit also has a guide bearing, and so I used that bearing to the follow the hatch frame surface and rounded over the top.



The router imparted some roughness in the cutting process, so I cleaned up the surfaces with the 5" random orbital sander.  I smoothed the top of the hatch and the frame of the hatch.



Next, I outfitted the compact router with a small diameter groove cutting bit.  Using the straightedge, I cut the shallow groove at the seems of the glued up slats.  Like I had done for the lazarette and forward hatches, the grooves will contain the teak decking caulk - more of an aesthetic than anything.



With the grooves cut, I cleaned up the cut surfaces by hand sanding.



After wiping down the surfaces of the hatch, I applied a thinned sealer coat of Epifanes clear gloss varnish.  Application was with a foam brush.



As I had done with the other hatches, I wanted to get a sealer coat of varnish on prior to the black teak decking caulk, and prior to the successive build up of the 5 to 7 coats of varnish.


Total Time Today: 2.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...