Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Assembling the Companionway Hatch Frame & Top


October 23, 2019



I picked up where I had left off yesterday evening on the companionway hatch, and so it was now time to assemble the hatch frame and top.  I began by sanding both sides of the recently glued up hatch top, using the 6" Bosch and 80-grit discs.  The top cleaned up nicely.  After sanding the excess epoxy from the surfaces, I blew it off with some compressed air, followed by a wipe down with solvent to remove the remaining wood dust.



I mixed a small pot of epoxy resin and wet out the bottom of the hatch top...



...as well as the top of the hatch frame.



With the balance of resin in my pot, I added colloidal silica to it in order to thicken it up.  I spread a fair amount on the top of the hatch frame, flipped it over, and then placed it onto the bottom of the hatch top.  I carefully aligned the two components, and secured the top and frame with a number of clamps.  I came back and cleaned up the epoxy squeeze out from both the exterior and interior of the frame.  Routing work will come next, as I have already done with the two other hatches.


Total Time Today: 1 hr

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...