Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Template for the Battery Mounting Blocks


September 4, 2019


With Hurricane Dorian blowing through town, well-offshore that is, I took the time for some indoor sports.  I wanted to get a template made up for ease of installing the battery mounts.  I shaped a couple teak blocks, roughly 2"x2"x13", to hold the battery securely, preventing any lateral movement.  In addition to the mounting blocks, I will be installing tie down eye straps, two to port and two to starboard, and using 1" webbing to secure the battery and prevent any vertical movement.

To begin, I laid out the battery on its blocks on top of a sheet of medium-density fiberboard.



While the hot glue gun was heating up, I selected four blocks of scrap material to aid in securing the alignment of the mounting blocks.



One at a time, I applied a generous amount of hot glue to the scrap material, and placed one on the exterior side of each mounting block...



...and one on the inside of each mounting block.



I then carefully removed the battery and tucked it away in its packaging.  With the battery out of the way, I then removed the brackets on the outboard edges of each of the mounting blocks.  Underneath these brackets I had used a forstner bit to drill a recess for the 1/4-20 threaded stainless steel bolts, the recess would ensure that the bolt heads would not obstruct the brackets.  These bolts will secure the mounting blocks to the molded fiberglass cabin sole.

With the outboard brackets removed, I used a pencil to mark the drill location for the 1/4-20 stainless steel bolts. 



I removed the brackets and scrap wood helping to hold the mounting blocks in position, and darkened the pencil marks.  I also used a straightedge to transfer the extreme width and length of the mounting block assembly.



Back in the wood shop, I cut out the template with a jigsaw.  The tie down eye straps will also be mounted to the fiberglass cabin sole in a fashion shown below.  The battery will be housed inside the companionway landing platform / battery box.


Total Time Today: 0 hrs


No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...