Thursday, September 5, 2019

Sanding the Topsides (Port)



September 5, 2019



I picked up where I had left off a few days earlier, test-sanding the topsides on the port aft quarter.  The paint scheme consisted of primer and topcoat, and likely an Awlgrip application.



The hook-n-loop pad on my 6" Bosch was not doing a great job holding the 60-grit sanding discs in place, so I reverted to my trusty Porter-Cable 7335.  This sander is discontinued, and after buying one, I picked up another at a garage sale for ~$15 bucks!  Anyway, these sanders are work horses, and their hook-n-loop pads are superior.



I slowly worked my way forward on the port side, discovering the old waterline as I progressed forward.  Having this old waterline visible will prove handy in that the previous attempt at a waterline looked more like an etch-a-sketch line!



Considering the pace and pain level, I decided to save the upper portion of the topsides, above the cove stripe, for another day.



There were some dips and low spots in areas, but the surface was fair for the most part.  I do plan to fair it with a longboard hand-sander, as the owner's choice in topcoat will show every imperfection: flag blue.  At this point I think I was taking a 30-second breather every 3 minutes, but was able to complete the port side of the topsides.  An order will be put in for the primer paint in the coming days.



The old boot stripe is just visible in the photo below.  Judging by the gelcoat stain of the boot stripe paint, I would venture a guess that this is original to the boat.  Anyway, it will provide a nice analog, or reference point for marking a new waterline.


Total Time Today: 4.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...