Saturday, September 7, 2019

Sanding the Topsides (Starboard) and Starting the Brightwork



September 7, 2019



I had a goal to get the topsides sanded - at least a first round sanding - by this weekend, but with a commitment on Sunday, and the body still recovering from the marathon session on the port side, I new it would not happen.  I did manage to get about one third of the starboard sanded.



Again, with 60-grit discs I work the topcoats and primer in a steady progression.



The old boot stripe was also visible on the starboard side.  I went ahead and traced the upper and lower boundaries of the boot stripe with a pencil.  With the heat, and muscle fatigue, I transitioned over to the wood shop to begin preparing the brightwork.



Having moved the teak into the wood shop for Hurricane Dorian, I arranged the boards in a more convenient storage solution, and then pulled one of the 12"-wide boards from the pile.  The two 12"-wide boards are for the new coaming boards, and with just a bit of surplus material on the end for another application.

I removed the original teak bungs holding the coaming block/return on, and backed out the bronze wood screws.  The screws were in really great condition considering the age of the boat.



With the three screws removed, I carefully separated the coaming board from the coaming block.



With the new teak at hand, I found the side and orientation I liked to then transfer the lines of the original coaming board onto the fresh teak.  I used clamps in several points along the length of the coaming board to eliminate the bow, and transferred the dimension.



The rough outline of the new teak coaming board was marked.  I will come back later to removed the board with a jigsaw, plane to the desired thickness, and finish shaping the coaming with hand planes and hand-sanding.


Total Time Today: 3.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...