Sunday, July 21, 2019

Completing Seacock Backing Pads & Electric Motor Mounting Surface


July 21, 2019




I wanted to move closer to the final installation of the seacocks, but was limited to what I could do today due to needing to allow paint to cure and not having the correct fasteners on hand.  However, I could at least take the job to the point that I could: painting. 

My first step today was to water-wash the amine blush from the surface of the backing pads and surrounding hull.



Next, I used the 1/4" drill bit and completed what would be the hole saw's pilot hole through the boat.



This is a picture of the starboard side of the boat, showing the 1/4" pilot hole.  The new through-hull fittings would be the vicinity of the original fittings, as shown by the new epoxy barrier coat paint I applied to the repaired area.



After both pilot holes were drilled, I outfitted the drill bit with the correct diameter hole saw in order to remove a plug of fiberglass for the new through-hull fittings.  I went slow at first to ensure that I was maintaining a perpendicular approach to the hull's surface.



I drilled out both the starboard and port side for the new through-hull fittings.  The thickness, including the backing pad material, was roughly 1.25".



A view of the starboard backing pad ready for paint.



A view of the port backing pad ready for paint.



Paint on the starboard backing pad.



Paint on the port backing pad.  I will be ordering the correct size fasteners this evening, and in the coming week I will be mounting the new seacocks, completing this job.



To wrap up the evening, I did some fine-tuning on the Torqueedo's mounting surface.  In my previous work session, I applied some thickened epoxy to the interior surface of the mounting block in order to reduce the side-to-side play; the fit was a bit loose for my liking.  So, I water-washed the amine blush and began to fine-tune the fit by a combination of hand-sanding and the use of a spiral saw.  In the end, I achieve a snug fit.  I will be gluing the mounting block into the counter of the boat with epoxy in the coming weeks.  More to come on this job...


Total Time Today: 1.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...