Saturday, April 13, 2019

More Fiberglass Work, Sanding & Fairing (Part 2)


April 13, 2019



Back on the boat today, I got to work on the continued effort to bring all surfaces to fair as I prepped for primer paint.  I began by water-washing the previous epoxy work that I had done - including on the boat as well as the cockpit locker hatches I had removed to the work shop.  With that completed (removal of the amine blush), I brought out the sanding equipment and began the work of sanding the previous fairing work.  

I started on the poop deck, and worked the hatch frame that I had applied the 1708 biaxial cloth and thickened epoxy to.  I worked my way around the entire aft deck area in addition.



I continued work on the cockpit area moving from starboard aft, forward to port forward and then aft - completing the cockpit.



I then worked my way up the starboard side and then back down the port side.



The sanding was near complete on the gelcoat repair areas and old fastener holes, but the coachroof coring work would require some more attention.



I did chase out some gelcoat cracks to starboard, where the cabin sides met the side deck.  I also ground out some gelcoat cracks in the cockpit while sanding there early.



To each side the companionway, I ground tapers in the numerous old fastener holes.



These old fastener holes had been filled with some epoxy-based or polyester-based compound, but not knowing what it was and not having confidence in it, I decided to removed it and fair to my standard.  I would come back to these holes prior to knocking off today to fill them with thickened epoxy.



With the sanding completed, I solvent-wiped the entire boat surface, and prepared for some addition filling/fairing and fiberglass work.  I began with the lazarette hatch frame.  I wet it out with epoxy resin, and then applied additional layers of 1708 biaxial to raise the surface to its previous level and to also add strength to it.  I finished it off with laying a layer of peel ply to reduce the need for sanding.



I also applied thickened epoxy to the areas on the aft deck that required additional skim coats.



Next, I moved around the boat and filled the old toe rail holes (I had ground tapers in them whilst in the sanding mode earlier).  As per usual, I used 406 colloidal silica and 407 low-density to fill these holes.  I worked the starboard side of the boat first.



I then finished off with completing filling the port side toe rail holes.


Total Time Today: 5.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...