Sunday, April 28, 2019

Finishing Mast Step, Strengthening Side Deck, and Applying Primer Guide Coat


April 28, 2019



I had a few hours today to tend to a few things that I had been itching to do for a couple weeks now.  So I carved out the time and, in the parlance of the south, "got'er done!"

There were concerning voids and cracked fiberglass laminate underneath the starboard side deck, at the transition from the coachroof's aft bulkhead and the cockpit.  I had built up new laminate around this area a couple months ago, but had missed completing the overall rebuild of the bottom skin.  In fact, with a visit from the owner to discuss the ongoing refit, his foot position while traversing from cockpit to foredeck was precisely placed in this area.  There was an audible flex, and I took note.  So, today would be the day.

I made my way over to the boat and solvent-washed the area that I had sanded just a few days prior.  I then took measurements of the areas to be repaired, took those measurements back to the shop, and then cut out a couple panels of 1708 biaxial.



While I had the 1708 biaxial out, I tackled the other project that I had on the day's to-do list.  I cut six 8" x 8" squares of 1708 biaxial to laminate onto the mast step - this would finish off the mast step, with just fairing left prior to primer.



I wet out the areas to be worked today with epoxy resin:  the two locations on the bottom skin of the starboard side deck and the mast step.  I then made my way back to the shop and wet out the side deck panels.  I first applied the new 1708 biaxial cloth to the side deck, and then finished it off with peel ply to cut down on sanding the interior.



I then applied a large panel to the underside of the old ice box that I had previously closed in with new bottom skin - core - and top skin.  I wanted to further tie in this repair to the original bottom skin laminate just forward of where the old ice box access had been located.  In the end I had to scrap the idea of applying peel ply here, as it was becoming increasingly obvious that I was about to make a huge mess.  I will have to water-wash this area and sand it prior to painting.



I returned to the shop to wet out the six 8" x 8" panels for the mast step.



I applied the six panels one at a time, ensuring that no air bubbles remained trapped between laminate layers.  



With the roughly 3/8" to 1/2" base of 1708 biaxial in place, I applied thickened epoxy to fill in the weave up on top and to also ease the transition around the sides of the base.  The thickened epoxy combination that I used was West System's 406 colloidal silica and 403 microfibers - having excellent gap-filling and bonding strength.



Finally, I further faired and eased the transitions around the mast step with a combination of 406 colloidal silica and 407 low-density fairing filler.



While  I was at the fairing task, I decided to mix another couple batches of the 406 and 407 combination, and fair out the entirety of the coachroof repair.  I had replaced the core material as it was suffering from water ingress and loss of structural integrity.  The mast step, over time and due to the wet core, had transformed into what I liked to refer to as the tank turret - a ~50 lb. hunk of stainless steel that, together with a steel supports below, was doing a not so great job of holding the mast in place.

I spread the fairing compound on with a large dry-wall knife in order to bridge a number of dips and valleys.  There will be more fairing and sanding to come here prior to paint.



Speaking of paint!  I had moved enough along on the balance of the boat that I was ready to get a "guide coat" of primer on.  Truth be told, I had a few reasons to get primer on some portions of the boat:  1. I really needed to get paint on to protect the cured epoxy resin from harmful UV damage, 2. I needed to help reveal small pinholes and voids that I was inevitably missing, 3. the application of primer would be a great first "guide coat" which would allow me to see areas that required a bit more fairing compound, and 4. I had some leftover Alex Seal 422 primer sitting around.

I mixed up the primer and converter in a 1:1 ratio, and stayed busy through the induction period by wiping down the surfaces to remove any dust or other contaminates prior to the paint application.  With the induction period over, I began rolling the paint on the aft deck.



I then worked my way froward through the cockpit and side decks - note that not all surfaces with in the cockpit were primed since some areas had obvious need for further fairing work.



I primed the bulkhead and coachroof around the companionway next.



Finally, I finished along the starboard side deck and cabin sides.  It was actually really nice to see the ugly fairing scars covered up with a monotone color applied.  My focus from here on out will be to get the balance of the fairing work finished, then sand and come back with a build primer to help further fill in the smallest of surface imperfections.  A finish primer will follow the build primer, and just prior to the topcoat paint application.


Total Time Today: 3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...