Sunday, March 10, 2019

Forepeak Overhead Tabbing, Various Sanding & Fairing



March 10, 2019



I got started today in the forepeak of the boat.  There was a bit of tabbing left to do on the forward-most portion of the deck repair.  So to that end, I solvent-washed the area to be addressed, returned to the shop and mixed a small pot of epoxy resin to wet out those surfaces.  With that "priming" process complete ( I wet out the fiberglass with epoxy resin not thickened), I then mixed a batch of epoxy resin thickened with 406 colloidal silica and 407 low-density filler.  With a small plastic squeegee, I worked the thickened epoxy in to form fillets that would enable the tabbing to lay down nicely with good contact.  I then wet out the various pieces of tabbing (1708 biaxial fiberglass), and then placed them into position.  With surplus thickened epoxy, I applied a fairing skim coat on portions of the new overhead.  I will come back to sand this area prior to the application of topcoat paint.



With the forepeak overhead repair work done for today, I went up onto the foredeck to apply a skim coat of fairing compound (same filler mixture as used below).  I will be scrutinizing the fairness of the new foredeck in the coming week, and may end up applying a lightweight fiberglass cloth (10oz) to assist in the effort.  For now, I was focused on getting a "rough" coat of fairing compound on the repaired surfaces.



From the foredeck, I went back below armed with the small DA sander...and of course my fingers for the inevitable tight spots.  I seemed to skip the pictures on this part of the session, but for the those that enjoy the read (as well as the pics), I completed sanding of the newly tabbed primary bulkheads.  Just prior to sanding, I water-washed the new tabbing to remove the amine blush - due to not applying a layer of peel ply to prevent amine blush from forming on the cured epoxy.  I then moved up into the cockpit and sanded old fastener holes that I laid glass onto.  This was done to prep for the fairing compound.  I made my way around the cockpit, sanding those areas that I intended to fill today, to include the two larger areas on the poop deck that I had installed new core material in.  I finished with a good vacuuming and solvent-wash of the entire aft portion of the boat. 

With the sanding finished, I paused the work clock for the day and went in for a shower to remove the itching fiberglass fibers.  The shower served to refresh me, and I came back out eager to begin work on the last tasks of the day - filling and fairing.  The starboard side deck had a number of spots where the gelcoat required removal, filling and fairing.  With the first round of fill-fair-sand complete, I was ready to come back for a second skim coat to fill any small pinholes or missed voids.  I solvent-washed the areas to be spot faired, mixed a small pot of thickened epoxy, and 6" knife skim-coated them to fill the voids.



I worked my way aft, addressing the areas that required the second fairing coat.



Next, I applied fairing compound to the aft bulkhead (exterior) of the coachroof - four areas on the starboard side and four on the port.  I then moved around the boat and filled small fastener holes that I had dished out with the small belt sander.  These areas were small enough so as to not require fiberglass cloth, and are not located in a load-bearing location.  



The final item on the sessions to-do list was to fiberglass and fair three larger areas around the companionway: to port and starboard of the companionway on the coachroof, and the aft bulkhead of the coachroof on the port side.  I solvent-washed the areas, as per usual, and then created patterns for layers of 10oz fiberglass cloth that I would apply to strengthen the repair.  I returned to the shop with the patterns, and cut them out of the new 10oz cloth material.  With the patches ready for installation, I then mixed a small pot of resin and wet out the three repair areas with straight epoxy resin - the priming process.  I started with the port coachroof:  I laid down the larger patch, wet it out by using a foam brush and resin, and then applied the second smaller patch, repeating the wet out process.



I moved over to the starboard coachroof, and repeated the installation technique on the 10oz fiberglass cloth patches.



Lastly, I moved over to the aft bulkhead of the coachroof, to port, and installed the 10oz cloth patches.



With the fiberglass laminated in to the repair areas, I applied a skim coat of fairing compound.  I started on the port side of the coachroof. 



I then moved over to the starboard side of the coachroof, and similarly applied the fairing compound.



Finally, I applied the fairing compound to the aft bulkhead of the coachroof/cabin.  There will be subsequent rounds of sanding on these repair areas, but this is required in order to achieve a satisfactory topcoat paint finish.  Sanding....got to love it!



Total Time Today: 5.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...