Saturday, December 15, 2018

Tapering Edges for Various Deck Repairs


December 15, 2018


After a seriously busy month of work (the day-job), and projects around the house, I was able to get back to the Allied today.  My focus was getting after the deck repairs: finishing any remaining core removal, tapering edges for laminating new top skin, and sanding slight concave surfaces around holes to be glassed and filled.  I began with removal of the top skin and core in the area of the cabin top where the massive mast step was installed.  The sheer size of the former mast step was the result of much needed rigidity and support over a very soft and sagging cabin top.  Future repairs (new core and top skin, encapsulated mast supports, and new primary bulkheads properly tabbed to the overhead and hull surfaces) will ensure that the cabin top will be strong enough to support and transfer the loads of the mast, while also freeing up space on the cabin top with the use of a properly sized mast step. 



After marking cut lines, I used an oscillating tool to remove the top skin, and then cut out the disintegrating core material with the same tool.



At the forward (visible) portion of where the port companion slide hatch rail was installed, I could see that water had penetrated into the core and caused damage.  



I marked cut lines for removal of what I imagined might be enough material - knowing I could remove more material if need be.  As it turned out, I did remove enough of the core and top skin to rid this cabin top of damaged core in this location.  Removing this last section of core would be a turning point, from here I could now focus on reconstruction of the cabin top.



With new core and top skin installation in the near future, I decided to sand tapered edges around the areas of old core and top skin removal.  The tapered edges would allow me to tie in the new top skin with the existing cabin top surfaces.  The tapered edge is approximately 3 to 4" in width.



Another view of the cabin top, looking aft.



After completing the tapered edges on the cabin top, I moved forward on the Allied and tapered the edges on the future foredeck repair.  In this area of the boat, I will be rebuilding the bottom
and top skins, with new core material to strengthen the deck.



I moved aft and began to "dish-out" the various fastener holes and bits of boat kit (bulkhead-mounted compass, shore power, solar power and battery charging controllers).



After taking care of the aft bulkhead of the doghouse (or cabin top), I moved to the aft deck and sanded tapers in the areas to be re-cored, as well as various old fastener holes and miscellaneous
deck penetrations.



I worked forward on the port side of the cockpit well and seating, preparing these old scars for new fiberglass and fill-and-fair work.



I repeated the same sanding work on the starboard side of the cockpit well and seating.  There will be some additional prep work for new fiberglass (enclosing the old icebox opening and a few other small fastener holes), but the next significant job will be sanding the deck surfaces and topsides to remove the old paint coatings.



Total Time Today: 4.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...