Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Over a Few Days: Teak Varnish/Oil, Bottom Paint, Prepping for Aft Chainplate Install, and Mounting Pads


July 12 - 15



With the Allied 24 now out of the shop and into the boatyard the work continues, albeit offsite.  I wanted to begin rebuilding the varnish on the toe and taff rails after having installed bungs to cover and protect the fasteners.  Over a half-hour period of time on Sunday, I cleaned up and applied a coat of varnish.  As can be seen, the boat is a bit bow-down, and will be leveled out in the coming days.


Since the boat was out in the open, and anyone working on her exposed to the harsh Florida sun, I chose to grab a couple hours in the very early morning hours, and prior to the day job responsibilities.  Monday morning was spent removing the topsides tape line for the waterline - applied just prior to the start of applying the six coats of topsides paint - cleaning up the tape adhesive residue, and then reapplying / restriking the waterline to apply a bit of bottom paint.  I chose to raise the new waterline by roughly 1/4" above the previously chose waterline, and also slightly raise the waterline as she moved forward to the bow, mirroring the rising sheer line of the deck.  With the tape line established, I began to sand from the line down roughly ten to twelve inches to thoroughly scuff the surface and remove loose paint.  After cleaning up the surface of sanding dust, I applied a bit of Petit bottom paint.



Tuesday morning was spent prepping for the installation of the 650W Torqueedo battery charger unit, as well as a couple Torqueedo BUS/CAN electronics gateways.  I laid out the installation of the remaining Torqueedo components at home, which helped me to identify the best layout on the boat.  I sanded to remove paint and down to bare fiberglass.



Next, I moved to the aft of the boat to begin the layout and install prep for the aft chainplate.  The owner is having a rigger install the chainplates, as well as additional rigging hardware and the raising of the mast and tuning.  Since I had glassed in the previous fastener holes and applied a G-10 backing plate for the aft chainplate, I wanted to mark, drill and tap for an eventual chainplate installation.  

I established the location of the new aft chainplate, and transferred the location of the fasteners to a layer of protective tape I applied for this process.  With the location of the fasteners established, I then proceeded to drill and tap for 1/4-20 fasteners.  



The aft chainplate ready for installation by the rigger.



While I was at the boat, I applied teak oil to the lazaretto shelf fiddles.




In the evening of the same day, I headed over to the shop to fabricate a few pieces for the interior.  With the installation of the new primary bulkheads, the location of the vertical plane related to the deck penetration for the upper chainplates had been slightly altered.  This opened a bit of a gap both on port and starboard, and as such required two spacing blocks to be fitted between the chainplates and the bulkheads themselves.  These were fabricated out of teak, and will be provided to the rigger for installation.



My next task was to create a mounting pad for the Torqueedo charger to be mounted onto.  This mounting pad would be epoxied to the interior surface of the cockpit well, aft of the port cabin settee, and the charger would then be secured to it with fasteners.  I fabricated this mounting pad from a piece of 3/4" meranti plywood - a hi-grade marine mahogany plywood with no voids.



I also fabricated a mounting pad, this time out of teak, to secure the BUS/CAN gateways for the Torqueedo electronics.



Wednesday morning, I got to work gluing the mounting pads to the interior surface of the cockpit well.  After cleaning up both the mounting pads and the fiberglass with acetone, I then applied neat epoxy to the surfaces, followed by a generous amount of thickened epoxy.  I had routed grooves into the glue surface of the mounting pads to provide more surface area and thickened epoxy volume for a more secure install.  Just prior to "sticking" them on the fiberglass surface, I applied globs of hot glue to the corners to assist in keeping things in place while the epoxy cured.  

The boards went up without issue; further Torqueedo component installation to come next.



Total Time Over These Days:  7.75 hrs


No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...