Friday, July 3, 2020

Installing the Coaming Boards and Aft Cockpit Trim


July 3, 2020



First thing on the list for today was to trim the portion of the coaming board/return bungs that were standing proud.  I trimmed the bungs and then carefully sanded down to a fair surface.



With 320-grit paper, I widened my sanding area a bit to help blend in the varnish to come.



With the coaming boards and returns assembled, I took them over to the boat to begin their installation.  I set them on the aft deck while I worked on preparing for their installation.  The first order of business in the prep work was countersinking the fastener holes on the fiberglass molded portion of the coaming.  I wanted to create an area that would trap the bedding compound - helping to keep things water-tight.



I then set up the hydraulic jack and spacer blocks that would help push the coaming boards into their final position.  With everything prepped, I moved to pushing the boards into place.  The hydraulic jack slowly moved the boards tight up against the fiberglass molded coaming.  Once the boards were set in position, I started fastening the 1/4"-20 machine screws.  I worked my way along the boards, 20 screws per board.  With the fasteners in place and the hydraulic jack still supporting things, I began mounting the lock washers and nuts.  Roughly half of the fasteners were accessible through the cockpit lockers, the balance from below.  After installing all fasteners, lock washers and nuts, I removed the hydraulic jack to complete the installation.



Boat is looking good....



Back in the shop, I pulled the aft cockpit trim board and prepared for its installation.  Chances are that the owner will elect to go with a mainsheet traveler installation, and the place for that traveler is aft of the cockpit.  The original/previous install position was on the bridge deck.  I never understood mounting the mainsheet traveler on the bridge deck - encumbering entry and exit to the cabin!  This teak trim board will be a good place to mount a small traveler system, if the owner elects to do that.  Of course a few blocks mounted to the poop deck can accomplish the same goal.



I marked out locations for the fasteners, and drilled bung holes (3/8"), countersinking as I went.



The silicone bronze wood screws to be used.



I secured the trim board, and then bunged the holes with the newly cut 3/8" bungs.



View from aft, as the Allied 24 is being put back together.


Total Time Today: 4.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...