Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Final Priming of the Deck Surfaces



June 6, 2020


I took a bit of time to complete the priming of the deck surfaces, which would first require me to drill and tap for the bow cleat.  In the previous work session I had over-drilled and filled the holes marking the location for the bow cleat fasteners - 1/4" x 20 bronze machine screws.  I was now ready to sand the surfaces fair, and apply primer.  I used 150-grit paper to take the fairing compound down to fair with the surrounding deck surface, choosing to leave the protective tape in place as I neared the surface.  I took the surface down to the previously applied fairing compound and called it fair.  The hand test yielding no surprise undulations.



Using the notes I applied to a piece of tape on the bow cleat, I aligned the cleat in its correct position. I then marked the location of where the fasteners would be installed.



After marking for fasteners and then removing the cleat, I began to pre-drill the holes to then apply the tap tool which would create the threads to accept the machine screws.



After drilling and tapping each hole, I applied a countersink bit to each of them to create a place for bedding compound to be pushed into...creating that water-tight seal.



Finally, I thuroughly wiped the surface down with acetone and applied the Interlux PrimeKote (2-part epoxy primer).  I also applied this primer to the aft cleat locations, but chose to focus the camera attention on the bow.



The last time on the day was to remove just a bit of material from he companionway sliding hatch to allow for a better fit and slide action.  The bottom of the forward edge of the hatch came into contact with the apex of the deck's camber.  I transfer the deck camber onto the hatch and then removed this material with my 1" belt sander.  After finishing the sanding and easing the edges by hand, I cleaned the surface and applied a couple coats of Epifanes varnish.  Another coat on all the hatches would be required.


Total Time Today: 1.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...