Saturday, June 20, 2020

Final Coat of Paint for the Cockpit and Deck, Plus Brightwork



June 20, 2020




For some reason I managed to not get a photo of the deck paint...not sure why I am missing the boat here!  Anyway, as I arrived at the boat this morning, I my first job was to mix a pot of the Alexseal topcoat paint for the cockpit, deck and coachroof.  With the paint mixed, I set out to prep the surfaces for application by thoroughly vacuuming and wiping down with a solvent.  

With the prepping done, I returned to the shop and reduced the paint by the appropriate amount, and gathered the remaining tools for the job.  I then worked my way out of the cockpit, applying paint, onto the poop deck, and then forward.  It was good to have the final coat of paint on the deck.

With paint out of the way, I left the shop to run some errands and to grab lunch.  When I returned I got straight to work on another round of varnish for the brightwork.  I started with the toe rails.  The toe rails required a final hand-sanding with 320-grit paper, and a clean up prior to the varnishing.  Since this was the first coat of varnish for the toe rails, I thinned the Epifanes high gloss more than is typical for a build coat.  I worked my way from stem to stern, and sealed the teak with the first coat, the thinned coat of varnish.



I made it back over to the shop to begin sanding all of the brightwork.  Again, I used 320-grit paper, and worked my way through the various components.  Once I had completed all of the sanding, I vacuumed the sanding residue and then wiped the surfaces down thoroughly with a solvent.

I light thinned a small batch of varnish, and then began applying to the coaming boards...followed by the various trim components of the companionway.



I then applied varnish to the companionway hatch side rails, and the mainsheet traveler base board.



Continuing on, I applied varnish to the taff rail, bow block, companionway threshold, and the drop boards.



I saved the tilled for last, applying the first build coat to it.  I also managed to begin some electrical work, but 'managed' no picture of the installation of heat shrink and battery lugs for the #6 AWG cables from battery to panel.  


Total Time Today: 5.5 hrs (tiller work is not charged for materials or labor)





No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...