Monday, June 22, 2020

Continued Varnishing, Interior Paint, Cockpit Scuppers, Locker Lid Paint, and Prepping for Wire Run


June 21 & 22, 2020




I actually worked on the Allied 24 during what was supposed to be chill Father's Day, in fact it was, chill.  The work is relaxing to me, an opportunity to decompress from the day job and from all the craziness that is our current shared reality.  But I could not spend too long away from family on this important day, so I arrived and got straight at it.  There were areas within the interior that needed and freshening of paint given my coming and going with no special consideration yet on preserving surfaces.  With the launch of the old girl coming up, I needed to begin taking care that I have towels down to protect the surfaces.  So to that end, I prepared a small cup of the Interlux Premium Yacht paint, and applied it after a scuff sanding and solvent wipe down.  No pictures of this task.

I then turned my attention to the brightwork.  I culled out the exterior pieces only, and proceeded to sand them with 320-grit paper.  Finishing the sanding, I vacuumed the surfaces and then wiped them down with a solvent.



I prepared a small cup of the Epifanes high gloss, lightly thinned, and applied it to all pieces: coaming boards, bow cap, aft toe rail caps, winch base pads, companionway threshold, companionway hatch slide rails, mainsheet traveler base trim, and the vertical companionway trim boards.  The brightwork is nearing completion with the number of coats I now have applied; likely two more coats.

I returned home, showered, grabbed the family and headed to the neighbor's pool.  We enjoyed the grill, the pool, a bit of bourbon, and good friends.  I never got around to recording the day's limited amount of work. 




After a day in the office, I headed to the Allied 24 in an effort to ensure that I meet the looming deadline for completion.  The first task today would be the cockpit scuppers.  A first attempt at installing a workable solution did not meet my intentions, so I reworked the solution and got into the install.  The primary issues was the mismatched outside diameter (OD) of the scupper drain and the seacock.  The relative short run of hose would not allow for a step-down piece to be used, so I decided to improve the look and function of the scupper drains.  I selected two scuppers with identical ODs, and then built jigs for each side to allow an easy effort at removing the laminate and core material to allow for the installations.



With the holes opened up, I then sealed the exposed core with epoxy resin to guard against any potential water ingress and deterioration of the core material.  I will do a final install in the coming days.



Back in the shop, I prepped the partial assembly of the plumbing run to drain the cockpit.



Next, I turned my attention to the cockpit locker lids.  They required their final application of topcoat paint, so I sanded the surfaces with 320-grit paper, removed the sanding dust and thoroughly wiped them down with a solvent to remove any remaining contaminates.




I mixed a small pot of Alexseal finish paint, and applied the final coat with a foam roller.




Back in the boat, I set out to prep for a wire run.  A small panel will be set on the forward starboard settee, and just aft of the primary bulkhead.  The house battery, a 100amp hour lithium ion, will be set just aft of the Torqueedo motor battery, and its wires will run within the starboard settee, forward to the panel.  I sanded four points within the interior of the settee vertical face to prepare to glue four zip-tie mounts to its surface.  After vacuuming up the sanding dust and cleaning the surface with solvent, I wet the surface with epoxy resin.  I then mixed a bit of thickened epoxy with the remaining resin, and set the tie mounts in place.  The picture is terribly out of focus, but the explanation should give you the idea.


Total Time for the 21st and 22nd:  6 hrs



No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...