Sunday, February 16, 2020

Dry-Fitting the Coaming Boards


February 16, 2020




After wrapping up club water polo practice, I headed over to the boat to complete the one project for today's goal: dry-fitting the coaming boards.

I placed the shaped coaming boards in position and applied a hydraulic jack to push the boards to take the shape of the molded fiberglass coamings.  This took me a few attempts because NOTHING on a boat is plumb and square!  In the end, with the help of a couple shims, I was able to get the coaming boards pushed into position while stabilizing the jack and supports.




The process of installing the coaming boards included marking two fasteners 3" from the cockpit's aft bulkhead followed by two fasteners every 9" going  forward.  I then pre-drilled to tap for the 1/4" fasteners.  After tapping for the 1/4"-20 machine screws, I installed a finish washer with every fastener.  On the interior of the molded fiberglass coaming, I applied a larger flat washer, smaller locking washer, and a nylon locking nut.  Somehow, maybe in the excitement of the installation, I missed two fasteners on the aft portion of the port coaming board.  No worries, since my next move will be to remove the coaming boards for the last coat of primer paint, and at that time I will install and remove these two fasteners.



The Allied Greenwich 24 looks well balanced with the coaming boards installed!


Total Time Today: 3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...