Friday, January 3, 2020

Priming (Cockpit, Landing Platform, and Bow Repair)


January 3, 2020



I made it out to the boat today, after running some errands in the morning, and got to work on the day's goal - applying primer paint to various parts and surfaces on the boat.  To start, I jumped up in the cockpit.  I began by sanding a few areas that required another coat of primer, as well as a recent repair to the starboard seating.  I sanded with a gently used piece of 120-grit paper, by hand.  After vacuuming and solvent-washing the area, I applied the Interlux Prime-Kote 2-part epoxy primer.  I used a foam brush for the tight spots, and a foam roller for the larger field surfaces.   



I progressed on to the boat.  I water-washed the latest (third) round of skim coat that I applied to the bow's laminate repair area.  Again, the Flag Blue paint would give the repair away unless the surface was faired more than just "good".  After water-washing any surface contaminate from the cured TotalBoat TotalFair fairing compound, I sanded with 180-grit paper, using the 5" RO.  Knowing that I had a few other pieces to prime with the gray primer (the Alexseal primer in this instance), I headed over to the shop to prepare those pieces.



For now, I needed to prime a few components of the landing platform / battery box: the sides of the box, a cleat to be installed on the cabin floor, and the supports for the sides of the box / platform. I cleaned the mahogany with acetone, and then set them on supports where I was able.



I mixed the Alexseal epoxy-based (also a 2-part system) primer, and then waited for the chemicals to react to the point that I was ready to apply it.  While I waited for the paint to do its thing, I headed over to the boat to solvent-clean the surfaces to be primed (the bow repair as well as the motor mount area).  By the time I made it back, it was time to begin painting.  I went ahead and applied a coat to the landing platform / battery box components.



Next, I headed over to the bow to apply the first coat there.




Finally, I made my way aft and painted out the areas around and including the motor mount.  Post photo, I  also painted out the interior of the holes drilled to accept the actual electric motor.  I repeated this dance three times, finishing up one of the three areas to be painted and then moving on to the next.  By the time I was done with one, the next was ready for another coat.  Did I mention that it was 81 degrees today!



With the painting concluded, I went ahead and made some templates for the teak new winch pads - to be mounted on top of the molded cubby outboard of the coaming boards.  The new teak coaming boards will have a hole cut into them to provide access to these cubbies - great for storing winch handles. 


Total Time Today: 3.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...