Monday, November 18, 2019

Final Coats of Topside Primer & Spot Fairing



November 17, 2019



Having just completed a move into our new home, I finished the weekend off with a few hours on the Allied 24.  I began by sanding the topsides - the first and second coat of primer - as well as some areas that I spot-filled with fairing compound.  These were the small voids that were made obvious and visible by way of the application of primer paint.



In a combination of hand work and machine, I covered both sides of the boat, including the cove stripe.



In a previous session I had applied fairing compound to the where the motor mount would be installed as well, and so I completed the sanding (fairing) of this addition to the boat.  Well, I did have a few pinholes that would need another coat.



I test fit the motor mount and all was looking good...according to plan!



Prior to the final round of fairing for the motor mount, I went ahead and mixed a couple pots of the Alexseal Finish Primer to apply to the topsides.  I worked from the port aft quarter and forward to the bow, and then from the starboard bow to the aft quarter.  I completed two trips around the boat, and with the previous sanding, I achieved great results in the layout of the material.  I had also thinned the paint a bit more in this third and fourth coat, which aided in the flow of the paint.  As you can see, I had to erect some lighting for the final hour of work.



To wrap a long and busy weekend up, I applied a final skim coat of fairing compound to the motor mount.  In my next work session I will sand this area fair, reapply tape for the waterline, and complete the priming of the exterior of the boat.  The stern of the Allied 24 is also under some fairing work, but will be incorporated with the motor mount for the final priming work on the exterior.


Total Time Today: 5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...