Saturday, September 28, 2019

Building the Toe Rails (Pt 1)


September 28, 2019


Having just arrived from a multi-day work trip, I spent some time with the family prior to getting to work on the Allied 24.  My focus today was to get the toe rails cut from the teak stock, and to apply the teak decking caulk to the forward and lazarette hatches; however, my available work time this afternoon would ultimately prove insufficient for the wish list I had.  In the end, I was able to get the toe rails dimensioned.

I grabbed the old rails and took some measurements off of them: 1 and 1/8" in height, by 1 and 3/8" width, the length being 23' and 5".

Based upon those measurements, I selected the board to be used: 8" in width, 1.5" in height, and 10' 2" in length.  On the table saw that I set up along side the boat, I ripped this board into 5 lengths measuring 1/4" more than the width and height dimensions.  This extra material would allow me to joint and plane to the final dimensions.  After I ripped the 5 pieces from the stock material, I laid them out in  a starboard - port arrangement that utilized the natural curve of the grain.  These two boards to port and two boards to starboard would allow for roughly 20' of the toe rail length, and would require that I scarf an aft section to make up the required length to the taff rail.



With the boards selected for port and starboard, I began the process of jointing and planing them to the final dimensions.  I performed this task one board at a time, using the calipers and a rule to gradually reduce material to the final dimension: 1 and 1/8" height by 1 and 3/8" width.  



The re-saw work was just too time consuming for me to get to the hatches, so I decided to push that to tomorrow.  The toe rails still require a rabbit to be cut into the bottom surface to fit tightly to the hull to deck joint, as well as some round overs on the outboard and inboard sides.  After these final shaping cuts are made I will cut scarf joints and glue them together.  



Total Time Today: 4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...